Vacature geplaatst op 16 sep 2020
The World Organization of Family Doctors (WONCA) is a global not-for-profit professional organisation representing family doctors from all regions of the world (www.wonca.net).
We are looking for a Chief Administrative Officer to work in the new Secretariat of WONCA, based in Brussels. We seek a highly motivated individual, with a strong ‘can-do’ attitude and positive mentality.
You will have the opportunity to work for a not-for-profit organisation with a mission to improve the quality of life of the peoples of the world by promoting the development of general practice/family medicine globally, fostering high standards of care, and disseminating information concerning the educational, research and service provision aspects of our discipline.
What you will be doing
The Chief Administrative Officer will be responsible for day-to-day organisation of WONCA, including human resources, finances and membership management.
- Managing office communications, being the first point for enquiries, managing correspondence, engaging with WONCA’s Members (Organisations and Individuals) and working groups in a positive, respectful and diplomatic manner, resolving issues appropriately, responding to ideas and suggestions, proactively reaching out to Members;
- Identifying and synergies and supporting linkages among Members, actively proposing innovative ways of working and assisting in improving organisational procedures;
- Providing input to the planning and implementation of WONCA’s strategy, identifying opportunities to strengthen the organization;
- Assisting in monitoring of the association’s developments;
- Scheduling and managing calendars and action lists;
- Researching and preparing information for reports and publications;
- Assisting in formulating collective policies related to the mission of WONCA;
- Seeking opportunities to promote WONCA, working closely with WONCA’s Communications Officer;
- Supporting the preparation of the Executive Committee meetings, including distribution of documents, minute taking, maintaining records of meetings and sharing key decisions;
- Supporting the organisation of WONCA’s General Assembly (World Council Meeting), including distribution of documents and invitations, handling registrations and attendance lists, etc.;
- Providing support in the organisation of other physical and virtual events;
- Participating in the WONCA World and other conferences, coordinate the organisation’s promotion efforts and own booth during conferences;
- Providing suggestions and advice on internal organisational and strategic matters;
- Assisting in fundraising activities.
2) Secretariat management
- Acting as contact with our Association Management Company (overviewing financial and membership management) and other services providers (legal consultants, insurance companies, travel agents, accountants, auditors, etc.);
- Developing, revising and maintaining standard operating procedures related to the Secretariat’s work;
- Developing, revising and maintaining the human resources policies of WONCA’s Secretariat;
- Maintaining accurate databases and filings;
- Monitoring and providing input to the operational budget;
- Assisting in the preparation of monthly payroll;
- Coordinating office matters, including office supplies;
- Organising the recruitment of new staff;
- Closely cooperating with other officers and providing support other tasks as required;
- Participating in Secretariat meetings.
- At least five years of relevant work experience, preferably in an international environment;
- At least Bachelor’s degree — Master’s preferred;
- A healthcare related degree or work experience in a pertinent organisation is preferred, but not essential;
- Fluency in English language (CEFR C1 level; or IELTS Academic band 7 and above; or equivalent TOEFL score in writing, reading and speaking; a certificate is desirable);
- Advanced knowledge of other languages, especially of Spanish, is an asset;
- Strong digital literacy (find, evaluate, manage, create and communicate information through/for digital channels);
- Excellent IT skills, including competence with office suites (word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, databases), organisational and communication tools (e.g., Trello, Asana, Slack, Teams), and ability to learn new tools;
- Experience with provision of support for legal matters (e.g., GDPR);
- Able to explain complex ideas clearly and plainly, accurate and attentive to detail;
- Open to learn, ready to digest detailed information, and willing to gain deep insight into WONCA’s operations;
- Be prepared to travel internationally for the organisation.
We are also looking for
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and ability to communicate in a variety of different formats;
- Excellent prioritising, time management and organisational skills, with the ability to manage multiple projects and agendas, work independently and within a team, deal with competing demands, and meet deadlines;
- Proactive approach, outstanding problem-solving skills, willingness to take initiative to solve problems independently and creatively;
- Attention to detail and procedures, focus on quality;
- Team-oriented approach and team-building skills;
- Previous work in coordination of groups is highly recommended;
- Sensitivity to operating within a diverse community and in a multicultural environment;
- Openness to feedback;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive information discreetly.
What we offer
This is a full-time position (38 hours per week), offered under the Belgian law. The candidate must possess a valid passport and a valid EU working permit. The working location is in Brussels. The Secretariat office is located in the Brussels Madou area and is easily accessible by public transport.
WONCA offers an initial contract of 2 years, with the view to extend beyond that. We offer a monthly gross salary of between €3,000 and €3,600 depending on the level of experience, in addition to a 13th stipend, holiday bonus, lunch vouchers (€7 per working day), and 20 days of legal annual leave.
Costs relating to travel (economy class) and accommodation for WONCA business will be covered by the organisation. In addition, a per diem will be paid for every day away on WONCA business.
Desired starting date is 2 November 2020 or as soon as possible thereafter.
How to apply
WONCA is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive working environment. Candidates from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
To apply please send your CV and cover letter (maximum one page) explaining why you are interested in this post and how your skills and experience make you suitable for the post. Your cover letter should explicitly state how your profile matches the job requirements as indicated above.
Please also include the names and contact details of two people (ideally one former or current supervisor / manager and one person that you supervised) who could provide references and be contacted by us.
Your application must be received by 9 October 2020, 17.00 CEST. Incomplete and late applications will not be considered. Only well-qualified candidates will be invited for an interview.